Saturday, June 4, 2011

Birthday Party on a Budget...

Today we had our "park party" for the boys. I can't believe they will be 7 on Tuesday. With family coming in town for that, I decided to do a simple party for the friends on our block and some close friends from school.

With twins and 2 different first grade classes, there were 44 kids (plus parents) to invite to a party. I just couldn't do that this year, mentally or financially. I decided to invite 4 families that we do playdates with (they each have 2 kids) and we met at the neighborhood park.  It was lovely and shaded, thank goodness because it was 100 degrees today and there was a good breeze blowing.

I didn't want to spend a fortune or put on a super sweet seven yr old party, so I put my thinking cap on and off we went...

What do kids like to do at parties?  PLAY...that's it.  It doesn't matter if it's a Chuck E. Cheese or the local heathen hopper place (Jumpin' Jungle- you know, the inflatable jump house place), all they want to do is PLAY.  SO...what better place for a dozen kids to run off some steam...the park. It's free and wide open for noisy kids to RUN!  

What do kids want to eat?   CAKE...and snacks.  So we served hot dogs (our park has electricity, so I put them in a crockpot with water to keep them warm) and chips and juice pouches.  I also MADE my own cupcakes from $.88 cake mix and $1.38 frosting from Walmart.  (yes, we made them into an alligator)

All parents want to do is...RELAX and talk. There were a couple of picnic tables for us to sit at and chit chat while the kids ran and played.  IT WAS GREAT!  Caught up on the latest gossip. Bragged about all of our super smart and talented kids and just relaxed.  Everyone even stayed an extra hour cause we were all so comfy!

Party favors??? WHY spend a fortune on little crappy trinkets to stuff in a bag and worry about how full the bag is to impress all the parents???  All my kids do is lose, throw away or break that stuff anyway and no parent wants more candy coming in the house, so we opted for KITES!  The Dollar Tree had 2 packs of good sized kites for $1 each, so I grabbed up 6 of those babies, cut the packages down the middle and tied the top with curling ribbon.  $6. that's it for goodies.  

My total for the WHOLE party for TWO 7 yr olds  food, cake, goodies and venue was $30.  THAT'S IT!!! 

And I think they had a GREAT time!!!













I think they had a great time if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment