Monday, September 27, 2010

Kitchen Island Makeover!

Here's my kitchen island. I have these oak cabinets ala 1990's along with the lovely green and maroon tile. I did manage to find some wallpaper that ties all those colors in and it doesn't look too bad, but it's so not my style! I've been wanting to do something to my island for a while now. Hubby can't believe that we've lived here 4 years and I haven't really done anything big except painting some rooms! I used to rearrange the furniture at least twice a month at our old house! So it was time!!!


I never really saw how beat up they were until I took these pictures!


After scouring the blogs one evening, I found lots of posts on beadboard wallpaper! That's it!!!
That's perfect for that huge blank wall of the island!!! I wanted to paint it black, but I didn't want it to look like a huge chalkboard and invite MORE writing on it!!! (Sharpie does not come off worn out oak!)
I used basic wallpapering techniques and added the paper to all the flat sides. My mom would be shocked! After wallpapering her bedroom years ago with Victorian floral wallpaper, I swore I'd never wallpaper again!!! I hope she's up there smiling down on this project though!

10pm: wet wallpaper over an outlet and a razor blade to cut it out from around it = small shock that scared the crap out of me!!! I touched the razor to the metal part where the screw is and it zapped me!!!



I let it dry over night and then the painting began!


I'm hoping that my impatience won't bite me in the butt. I didn't prime this side.

Here's the finished project!!! I LOVE how it turned out!!!

(there's a few spots I see in this picture where I need to touch up!)


Total cost: $16 for a roll of beadboard wallpaper from Lowes (and I have about 3/4 of it left!)
$0 for paint I already had. It was a quart that has lasted about 10 projects around here!!!
priceless: time spent with kids and letting them "help"!!!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment, I love to see other projects with this wallpaper. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete