Sunday, May 29, 2011

Re-using Artwork Frames

I am in the process of redecorating my whole downstairs.  BIG job, I know, but I started thinking about it and I used not like sitting downstairs because I didn't feel like I could relax.  If there was a mess in the kitchen or toys on the couch, it really irked me.  

My whole downstairs was decorated in reds, golden yellows and black and we had a whole "Frenchy" Eiffel Tower and cheetah print thing going on.  Now to read that, it sounds like a brothel, LOL, but really it all went together nicely.  I wish I would have taken before and after photos of the whole thing, but I got all gung-ho and painted all the walls before snapping away with my camera. 

Here's one shot that shows the yellow we had in our formal living room and dining room:
See the artwork hanging, all of our art was French-ish pictures like that.  I love it all and just packed up all the red accent pieces just in case I want it back, BUT it wasn't relaxing at all!

Now, one place I can relax was my master bedroom.  It's painted a sea glass green (thank you previous owners) and I covered the windows with flowing white sheers.  My bedding is an old quilt that has light pink, baby yellow, sea glass green, and a grayish blue. I also have a cream matelasse cover too.  It's my sanctuary.  It's my place to unwind. It's my place where snuggles are done and the whole world just disappears.  THAT's what I want my whole house to feel like.  

We also have a family beach house.  Whenever we go there, you walk in and all your cares just melt away.  It's the one place I can go and the need to do something all the time goes away.  I actually will just sit and relax there.  Officer Hubby thinks it's crazy!  At home, there's always something that NEEDS to be done right now and I never just sit.

I was doing the dishes one morning and it hit me...why not bring those colors and the beach house feeling down here.  I mean, I have to spend alot of time down here with Officer Hubby sleeping during the day, so why not be able to relax and enjoy my home.  It doesn't need to be decorated perfectly and be stuffy.

I began by picking out these two colors:
 The family room and kitchen will end up being the blue. The formals are now the tan and already, the mood has changed!  I have so many plans, but let me get to what I did yesterday...

I had two pieces of artwork with awesome frames that I wanted to use.  OK...I wanted to go cheap and thought....I can just put new prints in there.  SO...I ran to Hobby Lobby and found two coordinating prints.  Here's how to change out your artwork:
Start with the framed piece and flip it over.  Cut the paper off the back with an Exacto knife:

Make sure your freshly pedicured toes are in the picture :)  You can throw this paper away.  It won't show!


Then using a flat head screwdriver, bend the staples up. Be careful not to pry too hard on the edge of the glass because you can shatter the whole thing. 


Pull out the board. My prints were mounted to that board, so they are still there, but behind the new one. 



Unwrap your PREMEASURED print (make sure you measure your frame BEFORE you go to buy a new print!) and lay it in the frame behind the glass.  Put your board back in and fold the staples back down.  Find a new place to hang it and WHA-LA!  You have new artwork!  

  
I have already painted my family room and thought these would look great in there!  I found the prints at Hobby Lobby and they were 50% off!  So for $14 total, NEW FRAMED ARTWORK!!!   (the other giant frame over on the right is another project in progress)


Linked to:
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment